Thursday, May 13, 2010

Why Nothing Matters

"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?
Then he is not omnipotent.
Is he able, but not willing?
Then he is malevolent.
Is he both able and willing?
Then whence cometh evil?
Is he neither able nor willing?
Then why call him God?"

What began as a small act of defiance in my teens has become a full-blown belief system in my thirties. I have seen men commit the most unspeakable of crimes and suffer nary a slap on the wrist. I have held women in my arms as they sobbed, unable to fathom the depths to which some are capable of dwelling.

I wonder what I should do. I pray for guidance. They say you should pray, and I do.

But a prayer offered up to an unknown quantity is the act of a fool. I have been a fool for far too long. I refuse to pray; furthermore, I refuse to play by the rules ever again.

Those who claim to be on the side of good are too obviously evil. They are fat on the meat -- the greasy grizzle -- of the innocent, praying on their tender, delicate, embarrassing minds. The so-called good are the master manipulators. They are the alpha and omega of man. They are the faux-dichotomy. They are the worst.

If we are to have hope (and we probably should because it seems important and stuff), we must reveal the naked emperor. We must pull a "Network." We must be willing to proselytize with the verve of the Jehovah's Witness. We must do other things that will lend credence to our cause.

If there is one thing life has taught me, it's that the world is crammed full with people who are willing to do whatever you want them to ... if only you convince them it's in their best interests.

World: my passion is pure. My intent is noble. My message is simple.

We don't know anything, and we never will. So shut the fuck up.

1 comment:

  1. I thought I knew. I really thought I did. Then I woke up. Turns out I don't know, because I wasn't thinking - I was believing. What I think, what I know, and what I believe are three vastly different things.

    ReplyDelete